Thursday, August 23, 2007

Nursing the Nation

Last week, it felt as though I was close to death.



Maybe not a pleasant way to start a blog entry, but true nevertheless, and that’s no exaggeration.

At 2am on Monday morning, I was taken to hospital.

I was in agony. So much so that the pain was indescribable. It wasn’t like anything I had ever experienced before, and as someone who has been dropped on their head as an adult, I have felt pain.

Not only that, but I was alone, miles away from my family, and scared.

Scared because I though that I was actually dying.

Again, agony.

Four days later, still in a fair amount of pain, I was released back into the wild.

It was only a kidney infection. However, the pain was that bad that I can only imagine that giving birth is comparable.

Anyway, the main crux of this blog is to praise the care I received while in hospital.

Not the care I received from the Doctors, however; they merely visited me once every day, hit me on the back and asked me whether it hurt.

Well, of course it hurt! That was why I was there and not at the pub!

The care I received from the nurses, on the other hand, was incredible.

Everyday, they made sure I got my medication, was fed, well, made my bed and were at my beck and call at every hour should I need anything.

The only time I did press my alarm was to ask for another blanket as I was cold.

Indeed, I am reminded of a previous blog about nursing, in which David Cameron argued that nurses ARE the NHS.
(http://rosalindmash.blogspot.com/2007/01/future-of-nursing.html)

After my recent experience, I wholeheartedly agree.

But it makes me wonder WHY they are paid a relatively tiny amount in comparison to Doctors when they do a much greater deal of work and undertake a larger proportion of the care of patients.

The NHS and the government should begin to give nurses more recognition for the work they do, because without them, this country’s health service would not have a leg to stand on.

No comments: