Thursday, March 15, 2007

Tea-rrific!

It wasn’t even midday before I was sitting in Caffe Nero, labouring over a nice cup of tea.

The day had already got off to a bad start.

I had woken at 5.30am after a night of restless ‘sleep’, tossing and turning.

I eventually dragged myself to shower at nine, only to be greeted by the screeeeeeeching halls fire alarm when I got out.

There was no way I was going downstairs! I was stark naked!

“I’ll just have to fry!” I thought.

Then, the wankers who run and work in my halls (yes, ‘wanker’ is appropriate) denied me the only pleasure I have in my life, and certainly one I look forward to upon waking…

A Nice Cup of Tea.

Admittedly, I’ve become a little obsessed (addicted?) with tea of late.

I’m not allowed to drink, and I’ve supposedly ‘given up’ chocolate and sweets for Lent.

Supposedly.

Henceforth, the NCOT (Nice Cup of Tea) has become a firm staple in my diet recently.

I truly believe that it is the drink of heaven.

But seriously, it does hold the solution to all of life’s problems, great and small.

“I’ve broken a nail!” – have an NCOT.

“I’ve failed my exams!” – NCOT.

“My brother is an idiot!” – NCOT.

Like I said; all of life’s problems!

But where does this wondrous drink come from?!

And why is it that to be a fan of tea is considered quintessentially English?!

Well, I decided to investigate and turned to the fountain of knowledge that is wikipedia…

The Science Bit.

Tea is made by steeping leaves, buds or twigs from the tea bush in hot water for a few minutes.

Obviously.

There are four basic types of true tea: black tea, oolong tea, green tea, and white tea.

The term ‘herbal tea’ usually refers to infusions of fruit or of herbs that do not contain any of the tea plant.

The tea plant itself generally grows in tropical climates, and apparently prefers acidic soils. Not being a scientist or geologist, I have no idea what this means. Sounds good though…

Tea is great. It is a natural source of caffeine and has almost no carbohydrates, fat or protein!

It also contains a type of antioxidant called catechins.

The Chinese.

The origins of human use of tea are described in several myths, but it is unknown as to where tea was first created as a drink.

One popular legend from China tells how the Emperor Shennong, known for his wisdom and scientific knowledge, believed that the safest way to drink water was by boiling it first.

One day he noticed some leaves had fallen into his boiling water.

Shennong took a sip of the brew and was surprised by its flavour and restorative properties.

Whether or not this and other legends are based on fact, it is true that tea has played a significant role in Asian culture for centuries as a staple beverage, a curative, and a symbol of status.

The Chinese have enjoyed tea for centuries, with the earliest records of tea drinking dating back to the first millennium BC.

Tea Spreads To Europe.


It is believed that tea spread to Europe during the 15th and 16th centuries, quickly becoming popular with the rich in France and the Netherlands.

English use of tea dates from about 1650.

The high demand for tea in Britain caused a huge trade deficit with China.

Using seeds smuggled from China, Britain managed to set up tea plantations in parts of India.

This created the modern tea industries of Assam tea and Darjeeling tea.

Britain also tried to balance the trade deficit by selling opium to the Chinese, which later led to the First Opium War in 1838–1842.

As a result, Great Britain established Hong Kong as a colony, largely to facilitate the trade of tea.

World War II and Beyond.


During World War II, tea was rationed.

I feel that this would have been horrific.

After the war however, Tetley launched the tea bag and it was an immediate success.

The convenience of the tea bag revolutionized how we drink our tea and now the traditional tea pot has given way to making tea in a cup using a tea bag.

And that, my friends, is the marvel of tea.

I’ve certainly learnt a lot and feel that it is about time for yet another NCOT…

2 comments:

Michael Scott said...

Fantastic stuff Ros! Great research I hope you did it with an NCOT by your side! I have a book about the history of tea somewhere but like the sometimes kooky klutz I am I still havent read it.......if I find it I'll let ya know what it says lol....

Anonymous said...

Went through your post from your morning alarm to your tea thing - don't leave it - be a tea addict - its just a win win situation for you for your health, others I don't know. I am a tea addict too and I love being the same. Enjoyed your post. smiled a little, laughed a little - oh don't think of frying lady!