Monday, July 16, 2007

Global warming

The subject of global warming is omnipresent in the media and political agenda these days, but what is it exactly?

Is it the description for a legitimate phenomenon caused by years of pollution and man-made devastation to planet Earth?



Or is it an exaggeration of climate change, which the government and media alike have spun out as another initiative to get everyone to behave as they would like them to?

According to the fountain of ‘knowledge’ that is wikipedia – something I’m sure journalists the world over refer to from time-to-time – Global Warming is:

“the increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans in recent decades and its projected continuation.”

Furthermore…

“The term ‘global warming’ is a specific example of the broader term climate change, which can also refer to global cooling. In common usage the term refers to recent warming and implies a human influence. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) uses the term ‘climate change’ for human-caused change, and ‘climate variability’ for other changes. The term ‘anthropogenic climate change’ is sometimes used when focusing on human-induced changes.”

Interesting stuff.

Personally, I hold meteorologists responsible. Also known as weather men/women.

Every morning before leaving for work, I check the weather on the bbc website to work out what I should wear, whether I’ll need a coat, an umbrella, which shoes are going to be most suitable etc.

Stupidly, I continue to believe that what the bbc’s bevy of meteorologists are telling me is true, despite the fact that they are continually erroneous in the predictions.

The most notable event in recent weeks was sitting in work all day, expecting dry weather, only to be greeted with the most heinous thunder and hail-storm known to man in the history of meterology.

A slight exaggeration I will admit, but how could they get it so wrong.

It is through flawed reports such as this that I base my main theory on – that the weather reporters are responsible for global warming.

No wonder the weather seems to be going to extremes if the people trained to let us know what is happening cannot even do that correctly.

Michael Fish. Need I say more?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You mean you have global warming in England too? I had no idea it was so popular. I guess it should have been expected though...it's already grossed $132 million here in the states...on DVD sales and designer scents alone! Looks like we've got a real sensation on our hands here...the next Beckham perhaps? I just don't understand why so many people are so apprehensive about jumping on the bandwagon. I for one welcome our new green overlords...of course it requires quite the lifestyle change. It's like a new pair of underwear though. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you.