Monday, October 30, 2006

Twenty Works of Art.

Today’s G2 includes a feature on twenty works of art to see before you die.

If this is strict advice, then it’s not very articulate – mainly because the twenty works of art are printed in the paper.

So technically, I have seen them and I’m still alive.

Luckily, the Guardian asks its readers to choose their own definitive lists of must-see masterpieces.

I say ‘luckily’ because I really do not agree with Jonathan Jones’s choice.

I’m by no means an art critic, but I know what I like and in respect of this, here is my list in no particular order;

1. ‘A Student’ Amadeo Modigliani

2. ‘My Parents’ David Hockney – currently on show at the National Portrait Gallery.

3. ‘John Donne, The Melancholy Lover’ artist unknown. It’s kept in the National Portrait Gallery.

4. ‘Rue Mouffetard Paris, 1954’ Henri Cartier-Bresson.

5. ‘The Virgin Mother’ Damien Hirst – I saw this over the summer at the Royal Academy and it is breath-taking.

6. ‘Christ of Saint John of the Cross’ Salavador Dali

7. ‘The Adoration of the Magi’ Leonardo Da Vinci – ok, so I agree with Jones on this one.

8. ‘Guernica’ Pablo Picasso – oops! I agree with Jones again!

9. ‘Marilyn’ Andy Warhol.

10. ‘Girl with a Pearl Earring’ Johannes Vermeer.

11. ‘Triptych of the Virgin Child with Saints’ Cologne School.

12. ‘Isabella and the Pot of Basil’ William Holman Hunt.

13. ‘The Kiss’ Auguste Rodin – this is on show at the Royal Academy until January 2007.

14. ‘Drowning Girl’ Roy Lichtenstein.

15. ‘The Kiss’ Gustav Klimt.

16. ‘L’Oeuil Rouge’ Joan Miro.

17. ‘Moulin Rouge – La Goulue’ Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.

18. ‘The Great Wave’ Hokusai – this is an absolute, absolute favourite!

19. ‘Birth of Venus’ Sandro Botticelli.

20. ‘David’ – Michelangelo. Just because.

I’m very sorry that I haven’t included any pictures – I promise you that they are all spectacular and it’s a good chance to discover them!

This is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen 'The Oak Tree' at the Tate? (Michael Craig-Martin). Otherwise known as a glass of water on a shelf? I wouldn't say it was a favourite, but I would recommend anyone to go and see it. If you do, take a step back and watch everyone else looking at it, it's great! I saw one couple nearly hit each other there once because they couldn't agree as to what it symbolised. unbelievable!

TommyH said...

Didn't they include Pollock in the list? I like his stuff.
erm...that is all.
T

TommyH said...

didn't they include some Jackson Pollock in the list too, or was that somink else I read in the Guardian. I like his stuff, but I have no real idea why.
erm...that is all
T